This course is designed to give you basic information on setting up a smallholding to become more self-sufficient by raising your own animals and growing your own food. We will tour the farm seeing the different animals such as the pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese. Subjects covered within the course include:
- The use of your land- choosing land (if applicable), managing your space, amenities, electricity and water sources, which animals suit your needs.
- Paperwork- Legal requirements, logs and files, movement papers, abattoir forms.
- Tools and equipment- Hand tools to tractors
- Livestock- Handling, housing, nutrition, healthcare needs, general maintenance, breeding, stock selection, which breeds to choose, predator protection, equipment, identification, uses and by products.
- Fencing- options and costs
- Grow your own fruit and vegetables
A mid-morning and mid-afternoon tea and coffee break will be provided but you will need to bring your own picnic lunch. Comfortable shoes are essential as there is a fair bit of walking involved when touring the farm. You will leave with fact sheets to take home as a reference for your future use.
This course is not a mixed group, it is a private booking and you will only be on it with the people you book with.
|Number of people||Price per person||Price per person (under 14)|